Thursday, September 10, 2026

Seize the Birthday #334

 
I am back today to share my card for the new Seize the Birthday challenge and as it so happens, I'm also the host of this challenge.  We choose our Toppings well in advance so Present Jules is very grateful that Past Jules chose something simple. What great timing she had!  *wink*

My Topping of choice is To Add a Sentiment Strip.  Given that this is a birthday challenge blog make sure it's some sort of birthday or celebratory greeting.  Here's my card for this fortnight.





There are so many things to love about North Carolina living.  The flora and fauna are so different from hot humid Florida and I am totally in for it all. The floral landscaping never ceases to amaze me but I have a special fondness for the precious hummingbirds that now gather just outside my kitchen window.  I set up two feeders earlier this summer as well as three little red swings. (One even has a camera so I can spy on the little guys.)  In the beginning they would flit in and out very quickly. Over the summer though they have gotten more comforable in their surroundings so they tend to hang around for quite awhile. I think the adults  began their migration last week but I still have a few juveniles hanging around, one male and two females. I made today's card in honor of Oliver, my male juvenile who just loves to swing and selfishly guard the nectar. 

The hummingbirds in my yard are the Ruby Throated species however only the males have the red on their necks.  They are also a bit more brilliant green in color compared to the females.  (I had to do a bit of die surgery to make the paper humminbird a bit closer in color/pattern as real life Oliver.  It's better but still not totally accurate, especially around the head/neck area.)  

Paper Oliver was assembled and adhered to an embossed, matted oval focal panel.  The stamped sentiment strip was popped up with foam tape and the oval added to an embossed card base.  A few brown gems were added to mimic movement.  

Supplies:
Honeybee Stamps - Hummingbird die 
MFT - Friends Like You stamp set
Spellbinders - Lined Corners embossing folder
Spellbinders - Modern Ovals die set
PaperTrey Ink - Linen embossing plate

We have Stacey and Chris both joining us on the blog today.  I invite you to play along by sharing your birthday cards in the gallery.  

Thanks so much for visiting!

Jules

5 comments:

  1. You colored Oliver very well! Great card! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love watching Hummingbirds, although I don't get many in my yard. Your card is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jules, welcome back. It's great to see you in the gallery and thanks for the easy challenge. Your hummingbird is so pretty with his red throat. Great job with the paper piecing. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy that you're making friends with the Ruby Throats, Jules! They are so dear - and make sure you speak to them as they'll reward you with a very up-close-and-personal visit when they get to know you!
    Your card, featuring Oliver, is just fabulous!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of hummingbirds whether they be in your yard or on a card. I am so glad for this challenge it was great fun. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete