Friday, September 15, 2023

Lindsey's Legacy Hop

Are you all tired of me yet?  This is my third and final post honoring my dear friend Lindsey who passed away last summer from a very aggressive form of ovarian cancer.  Emily, Tracey and Lindsey's husband Burke have been working very hard on this hop in the hopes of not only spreading awareness of this horrible disease but also raising money for her charity so that she might help others in their battles.  





September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month and Lindsey’s husband Burke thought it would be a great time to sell off her many craft supplies, with all of the proceeds going towards Lindsey’s Legacy Fund for Clear Cell Ovarian Cancer Research in cooperation with The Princess Margaret Cancer Centre.


How can you help?

  1. Purchase a Flat Rate Mailer stuffed with loads of fabulous craft supplies.  These can only be mailed within Canada and there will be no tax receipts provided with the purchase of these boxes.  A box of craft supplies would make a great gift for yourself, a crafty friend or a child/classroom!  For details about the boxes and how you can go about purchasing one, please email lindseyslegacyfund@rogers.com with the message "Craft Box" or visit Lindsey’s original blog, Bashful Blogging.  Every craft box purchase in September will be entered into a draw and one lucky winner will win a $100 gift certificate to Scrap ‘n Stamp.

  2. During the month of September, shop at Scrap ‘n Stamp using the code LINDSEY10 at checkout.  You will get 10% off your purchase (sale items excluded) and Scrap ‘n’ Stamp will donate 10% of their proceeds to Lindsey’s Legacy Fund.

  3. Any donations over $15 made directly to Lindsey’s Legacy Fund will receive a digital tax receipt.

  4. Repost this hop on your social media and encourage others to share!


Lindsey loved gardening, crafting, reading, Star Trek, Dr. Who and fine cocktails. (Even those "not so fine" cocktails.) She was an extremely thoughtful and giving individual who always had your back. I've given many examples of our shared loves over the past year but the one I'd like to share here is a story about just what a selfless human she was.

Prior to her illness Lindsey and I would email/text quite frequently. Most of our communication was lighthearted and I looked forward to her humor and book recommendations over the years. She shared her health issues with me quite early (fall/winter of 2021) so I knew of her diagnosis pretty much from the start. We texted almost every day after that. I had hoped to be a shoulder she could lean on and we had lots of wonderful conversations. It was during this time that my father (who lived with me) required kidney dialysis and I began the training to become an at home dialysis caregiver. If you know anyone undergoing daily dialysis (every day for those at home/every other day for those at a center) you will know how EXTREMELY stressful that is for everyone involved. I kept a lot of that hidden from her as, of course, she certainly didn't need me whining to her. Somewhere along the way she figured out that I was holding back (very intuitive, that one) and encouraged me to confide in her. She said helping others would be a good distraction and help, she did. I hope our confidences were mutual in that respect.

Anyway, to make a long story a bit shorter...my father passed away in early July 2022 and Lindsey was such a comfort to me during that horribly sad time in my life. I had a girls trip planned for mid July (even had a back up for dad's dialysis) and almost didn't go. My heart was too heavy. But Pops would have insisted so I packed up and flew to Charleston with some of my book club friends. We'd only been there about an hour when I received word of her passing. I stood in the Starbucks of our hotel lobby sobbing like a baby. It was just all too much. (I should add that she and I had just conversed the evening before she passed. I knew it was inevitable but I had no idea she was that close to death.) That night at dinner we had a toast to my father. The next day we toasted Lindsey. Now to the part about what a selfless person she was....I arrived home three days later to find a sympathy card in my mailbox. She had sent me the nicest note (I'm assuming Burke did the actual mailing) in her final days of what had to be horrific suffering. I keep it on my nightstand and read it often in memory of both her and my dad. She truly was one amazing person and I shall miss her forever.

Ok...enough blubbering. On to the card I created in her honor. I thought the sentiment was quite fitting knowing her love of both tea and cocktails.




I won't take up any more of your time.  If you have any questions about the products and/or techniques I used just leave them in the comments and I'll get back with you.  

The next stop on the blog is Joyce.  If you get lost along the way, please return to Emily’s blog where she will have the entire hop list. If you create anything in Lindsey's honor we'd love for you to include all or some of the following hashtags...

#lindseyslegacyhop 
#lindseyslegacyfund 
#clearcellovariancancer  
#ovariancancer 
#theprincessmargaret

Thanks so much for visiting my little corner of the blogosphere and thanks so much for hopping along with us as we honor Lindsey.

Jules

11 comments:

  1. Oh my heart. This is such a beautiful hop (and creation) and you have shared a deep part of your journey (especially with Lindsey). Thank you. Thank you for letting us get to know her a little better. I had a tiny peek with her as a teamie at INk. I'm so sorry for your losses last year. ;(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Julie for sharing that lovely but difficult story. And thanks to you and your “Sistas” for the beautiful cards. Your support means so much to me. Best wishes. Burke

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me cry my friend. She was one of a kind for sure. Your card is wonderful as is the greeting. She is smiling down for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a story. I am so sorry for the loss of your father, and what a testiment to friendship you shared with your stories of Lindsey. Your card is really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tears in my eyes.... what a blessed friendship of love and caring. hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and Lindsey were so lucky to have had such a caring and deep relationship. I know it makes grieving that much harder. Thanks for sharing your story and your wonderful card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful tribute to Lindsey. All the loves sistah xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing. Your tribute/project is lovely and your post made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful words, Jules. She really was blessed with the gift of intuition and was so supportive and always seemed to find the right words for each and every occasion. I too had chatted with her in the last few days of her life and was so shocked to receive the news of her passing. It was if she just wanted to 'slip out of the room' and cause as little fuss as possible. Each day is difficult without her, but I'm so happy to have my place in her friendship circle as she gathered such a great group of women around her who carry her memory in our hearts and offer one another love and support as we do this. Thank you for your friendship. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big hugs to you my friend. Thank you for sharing your story and your amazing card. Makes me wish I had texted her more...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew I was going to have a hard time reading your post. My eyes have been leaking as I travel through all the fabulous stops along the hop. I avoided doing the hop I'm sure because I knew it would make me miss her even more than I already do. Thank you for sharing your stories with Lindsey and you are right she was such a selfless and wonderful human. Now when I got to your card? I broke out laughing because I know she would have absolutely loved how punny it was! xo

    ReplyDelete