Monday, August 1, 2022

Color Hues/Seize the Birthday -- Honoring Lindsey

 

This is going to be a very difficult post to write.  As many of you already know, the cardmaking community lost one of it's own last week.  I personally have lost one of my dearest friends.  Today is all about Lindsey Martin-Penny.




Before I dive into the challenge details, let me tell you a little bit about my friend Lindsey.

We "met" during one of Tracey McNeely's 25 days of Christmas tags event years ago.  Lindsey contacted me through social media inquiring about the birch background paper I used in my photography.  It happened to be from Pier One and she asked if it would be okay if she used it as well. Duh!  I was so honored that she even noticed.  Occasional conversations would take place, usually in the comments of each other's posts but where we really bonded initially was over books.  I have a little IG account where I post my thoughts about the books I've read. (I'm really far behind at the moment if you're checking.)  As a former librarian Lindsey was an avid reader and some of my most favorite books and authors are a result of her many recommendations.  As the years passed we became close and emailed several times a week.  Topics included crafting, books, recipes, cocktails, our love of Star Trek, our families, etc.  Emails turned to texting.  Texting soon became a daily occurence.  I still find myself reaching for my phone to text her.  My world is so very sad right now.  

On to the challenge:

Today Seize the Birthday is playing along with their Sister Challenge, Color Hues as Lindsey was a member of both teams.  Today's challenge was to be hosted by Lindsey so the Design Teams want to honor and celebrate her beautiful creative life by sharing "Lindsey Inspired" projects using her previously chosen colors of Blue and Purple.  (Love ya Lins but purple will never be a favorite.  LOL!)  In addition to the chosen color duo we encourage everyone to incorporate Lindsey's favorites into their card.  No sympathy cards please.  She would want us all to be happy.  





As I previously mentioned card themes may include the following:

Humor/Humour
Cats
Gardening
Reading
Friendship
Wine/Spirits
Tea


On to my card:



She and I shared so many common interests so choosing a theme was difficult.  I will be honest.  I scrapped the first three versions (all of them totally different from each other) and in the end decided to just go with a Clean & Simple thank you card.  (CAS was her favorite style to create.)

My design is quite simple.  I stamped the heart onto a white card panel and colored it in with different hues of purple and blue alcohol markers.  I stamped my sentiment below the heart, trimmed down my panel and then adhered it to a slightly larger piece of black cardstock for the narrowest of mats.  I popped the completed panel onto a white card base using a piece of black fun foam.  As a final touch I added a bit of Wink of Stella to the center heart before applying Glossy Accents over the top.  I think Lindsey would approve.  

Supplies:
Simon Says Stamp - Center Cut Heart rubber stamp
Simon Says Stamp/CZ Design - Simply Thank You clear stamp set

I hope to see the Color Hues gallery filled with tributes to Lindsey.  Thank you in advance.
_________________

I didn't want to take away from Lindsey but I would be remiss if I didn't mention my recent absence from blogland/social media.  My father passed away quite unexpectedly on July 3rd.  My parents have lived with us for the past year so not seeing him every day has been especially difficult. My world is indeed extremely sad nowadays.  Miss you Pops.  

As always, thanks so much for spending a bit of your day with me.

Jules

 





  











5 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about Lindsey and your dad. What a difficult and heartbreaking time. Please know that I'm keeping you in my heart and wishing you strength and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you big hugs for these big losses. Thanks for sharing your words about Lindsey and the beautiful card you made in her honour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending you love, Jules. This is such a difficult time, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie I'm so sorry for our loss! Although you never met Lindsey face to face you were friends through words and words mean so much to her, everything! I still reach for my phone and sometimes I even go back through out messages and reread them because for a moment she is still here. Often when I read our texts it makes me think of something I want to tell her, something I forgot to tell her. 😭 Your card is stunning and I know 100 percent she would have loved it and asked to case it. It's so vibrant and fun! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. ..and it puslished as Aninymous! Sorry I have to watch that!

    ReplyDelete